Marina was originally designed by Burton to be a mirrored terrace of collonaded houses either side of the Royal Victoria Hotel. Construction started circa 1828 with the Hotel being started first, then the two terraces, of nine houses each, being completed by the end of the following year The houses further from the hotel were completed over the next two years or so as follows;
1829/30 - Numbers 15-33 (of which five houses between nos 27 and 33 fell down soon after construction and required re-building)
During 1831, numbers 24, 25, 29, 30, 31, 32 and 33, together with the Conqueror Hotel were put up for sale at auction as investment properties
A colonnade of shops with limited accommodation above was constructed on the seaward side of the parade; South Colonnade.
Further development to the west took place as follows:-
1849 - Numbers 72 to 78
1853 - Numbers 79 to 82 & 128, 129
1855 - Numbers 130 to 133
1857 - Numbers 89 to 91
A portion of the terrace to the east of the Hotel was subsequently demolished during the 1930s for the construction of Marine Court.
A cliff fall in the vicinity of Marina revealed some Bronze Age palstaves
The steps behind Marine Court leading up to East Ascent used to be in a circular form and were replaced with regular steps similar to those today circa 1844. There is reference to a number of accidents in Brett regarding individuals and animals falling down either these steps or the adjacent cliff faces