Before the introduction of a fire-brigade, much of the burden on extinguishing fires fell upon the property-holders, a number of which purchased insurance-bonds to ensure their property would be attended by the fire-service paid by those bonds, or self-extinguish the fires.
The St. Leonards Commissioners started to seriously discuss the possibility of purchasing its own fire-engine in 1838/9, the ones based in Hastings were felt to be too far away. A fund was set up, and after a couple of false-starts, the fledgeling town had its own engine housed in the upper St. Leonards mews
The Hastings Fire Brigade was set up on the 3rd of July 1861 after a public meeting in the town hall, due to criticism of the Council’s semi-voluntary service. The brigade was possibly the first volunteer brigade in England.
The brigade consisted of three sections, of 13 men each (a foreman, engineer, sub-engineer and ten pioneers or firemen), being founded by William Montague Glenister (1828-1894), who was the captain until 1889. The sections were then in the following locations;
|No 1 Section:||Town Hall, High Street|
|No 2 Section:||'Castle Road', Wellington Square|
|No 3 Section:||St Leonards, Mercatoria Square|
|"St Leonards Volunteer Steam Fire Brigade".||This existed until 1891, when it became affiliated to the borough brigade.|
A fourth section at was formed in 1879 and later a fifth in in 1891. There is reference to five sections attending a fire in the High Street in December of 1879, but it is believed that this is including the St Leonards Steam brigade.
A management committee was formed consisting of the Hon. Secretary, Hon. Treasurer and a Collector of Subscriptions. The management committee consisted of the Superintendent, Secretary, Treasurer, Foremen, and Engineers, sub Engineers and six firemen who were chosen by ballot. Funding for the Fire Brigade initially came in the form of subscriptions collected from local fire insurance offices. In addition to this various organised social and fundraising events and participation in local events assisted with funding. Starting in 1880 there was an annual Competition Fete with races and drills.
In 1909, the brigade bought a 'Merryweather' 'Gem' steam fire engine which was based at the 'Central Fire Station'. Around this time, there was also recorded a surgeon and 3 lieutenants, with a staff of 70 men, divided into nine sections, the principal station being in Middle Street. There were six 'manuals', one 'steamer' and five 'escapes', one in the High Street, one at the Central Cricket Ground, Queens Road, one at Undercliff, St. Leonards, No. 7 Brigade (Clive Vale) in Mount Road, and one in Corporation yard,; nine hose reels and six fire pumps, and one 'escape and reel' combined; the residences of the firemen being connected by telephone and electric bells with the principal station, they can all, in case of fire, be summoned immediately. There is also reference to a fire station being situated at Kings Road
The first motor fire engine in the Hastings area was called Mary, being received in August, 1921. The christening ceremony was preceded by a demonstration of the fire brigade's escapes against the walls of the Municipal Hospital and adjacent properties. The wife of Alderman Hocking, then Captain of the Brigade, was to christen the engine. After a number of attempts, the bottle of champagne finally broke and the engine could be christened. As the R.A.M.C. band struck up the tune 'Keep the home fires burning' to much amusement from the crowd, the assembled throng broke up, and the appliances returned to their various stations and housed at the fire station in Shepherd Street. Allowing for much faster response times, Mary attended many fires including the house at Beauport Park in 1924. The engine was reputed to be capable of a top speed of some 60 miles per hour from the recollection of its first driver, Mr J. G. Jefferson.. The registration number was DY 1898, it was described as a 'motor pump' and the chassis number is thought to have been 11627.
At this time, the Fire Brigade had 92 members.
In 1938, the County Borough of Hastings set up a professional Fire Brigade, employing some of the volunteer firemen. There was a tour and key handover ceremony at each of the borough's fire stations on the 1st of October 1938The headquarters around this time was in Marina
|14th January 1893||:||Jenkins Fire|
|9th December 1904||:||Mastins Fire|
|4th January 1909||:||Tapners Fire|
|15th July 1917||:||Hastings Pier Fire (1917)|
|18th February 1937||:||Stricklands Fire (1937)|
Priory Road Opened 1891
No 2 Castle Hill Road
No 7 Section (Opened 1896). This was situated on the corner of Mount Road and Clive Avenue. There was a Police Station adjacent.
Seaside Road (Opened 18 March 1905)
No 3 Shepherd Street Opened 1908
Battle Road Fire Station situated on Battle Road
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 2 Chap. 21
- The National Archives: Records of the Hastings and St Leonards Volunteer Fire Brigade 1861-1938 | The National Archives, accessdate: 17 January 2020
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Tuesday 01 January 1867
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 26 May 1883
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 21 March 1891
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 27 December 1879 Pg. 0005
- Records of the Hastings and St Leonards Volunteer Fire Brigade 1861-1938 (HASMG:2004.65 - Hastings Museum & Art Gallery)
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 05 February 1910
- An Illustrated History of (Brian Lawes) pg51
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 29 June 1907
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 27 October 1934
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 27 August 1921 Pg. 0003
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 04 March 1922
- 'Leyland Fire engines 1909-1930' published by the Leyland Society (Peter Simpson - Historical Hastings Facebook group)
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 01 October 1938
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 09 April 1949
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 08 February 1896
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 24 July 1880
- An Illustrated History of Clive Vale (Brian Lawes) pg 52
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 18 March 1905
- Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 03 October 1908