|Former name(s)||Ore Lane|
|Named After||Sir Howard Elphinstone (1773-1846)|
|Junctions||Baldslow Road,Mount Pleasant Road,Hughenden Road,Laton Road,Beaconsfield Road|
Elphinstone Road was originally named Ore Lane and the name recalls Sir Howard Elphinstone (1773-1846) who owned Ore Place and Ridge Farm.
Numbers 50 to 60, known as Franklin Terrace, possibly extending down to the Langham Hotel certainly existed circa 1880.
Numbers 69, 70 and 71, although possibly part of the original numbering plan for the road, do not exist and comprise the entrance to Beaconsfield Road.
Prior to 1869, the road was not much more than a track above what is now the junction with Mount Pleasant Road when proposals were made to improve the route. This resulted in a number of court cases arising due to land-owners, in particular Charles Hay Frewen whose land abutted the most dangerous area of the lane - that abutting the Ponbay Bridge - the case reaching the House of Lords after a series of appeals by him, who held the adjoining lands refusing to sell portions of their land..
Features in Elphinstone Road
References & Notes
- ↑ Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 3 Chap 27
- ↑ Hastings & St Leonards Observer 12 March 1867 pg. 3
- ↑ Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 26 March 1869