|Former name(s)||Queens Buildings|
St Andrews Terrace
St Andrews Road
|Junctions||Harold Place, Queens Road|
|Places of Worship||St Andrews Church|
Summary[edit | edit source]
Queens Road came into being when the council merged and renamed the roads called Queens Buildings, Meadow Road and Bedford Place, during 1876. Above Russell Street and Portland Place, the road was known as St Andrews Terrace, and later as St Andrews Road. The Bedford Public House stood on the corner of Portland Place and was at number 1 St Andrews Road. In June 1882 the Prince and Princess of Wales dedicated (and renamed) St Andrews Gardens (that had opened in 1864) as Alexandra Park and the road leading to it was renamed too, as Queens Road; the pub would then become No 37 with the numbering running up the east side of the road to the railway bridge and back down the western side.
During the 1960s, the wall between the Central Cricket Ground and Queens Road was demolished in favour of an avenue of shops extending round the corner into South Terrace (Queens Avenue). A Coach Ticket Office and small car-park was placed in the area immediately adjacent to the Town Hall, with one of the turrets serving as a public convenience. This avenue of shops was demolished during the 1980s, together with the Cricket Ground as part of the development of Priory Meadow (Shopping Centre).
St Andrews Church stood on the west side of Queens Road, just down from the Gas Showrooms. Both of these were demolished, the church going first to make way for a garage, then the Gas Showrooms to make way for a supermarket. There is now a supermarket garage on the site. A 'legacy' building still stands isolated, the sole survivor of the terrace above the Gas Showrooms as a chinese takeaway.
Behind the Gas Showrooms were workshops and depots for Maidstone and District bus company; these are now the supermarket and car-park associated with it.