The Hastings and Suburban Omnibus Company Limited was founded on the 29th of July 1886 with a stated purpose 'to convey passengers and goods in omnibuses, waggonettes, coaches and cabs within a ten mile radius of the Albert Memorial clock tower, Hastings' 
Replacement of Trolleybuses
The Trolleybuses that used to run around the town were replaced by a fleet of Leyland Atlantean buses in 1959, these continuing in service until the 1970s, when a new fleet took over.
During the 1960s & 1970s, there was a bus depot operated by Hastings & District (becoming Maidstone and District) off Waterworks Road behind the Gas Showrooms in Queens Road Another depot was at the Silverhill Bus Depot in Beaufort Road, with the third depot at Bexhill Road
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 10 July 1886 pg. 6