Summary[edit | edit source]
The Gaiety Theatre, Hastings was situated on Queens Road, opposite the Town Hall and next to the Post Office, and was designed by Cross and Wells, of Hastings, and the well known Theatre Architect C.J. Phipps. The Theatre opened on the 1st of August 1882 and at the time was the only Theatre operating in the Town. The Gaiety had an auditorium with three tiers and a capacity of some 1600 people. The theatre became a cinema in 1932 after being taken over by Kinema Playhouses Ltd and an extensive series of alterations, changing the seating arrangements to provide 1100 seats by means of removal of the boxes, gallery and upper circle. In addition, the foyer was extended to provide under-cover accommodation for 800 people waiting for a film to start.