Central Cricket Ground
Summary[edit | edit source]
The Central Cricket Ground was a first class cricket pitch between 1864 and 1996.The land was secured, in part, thanks to a major contribution from Sarah Whitear, being part of the land previously associated with the Priory. As the surrounding area was developed it became enclosed on all four sides by Queens Road, South Terrace, Devonshire Road and Station Road with an inset area consisting of the Town Hall. In addition to cricket it was utilised for other sporting events including Tennis, Football and Archery and also as a general recreation ground. Post-demolition, the site was occupied by Priory Meadow shopping centre.
Queens Parade[edit | edit source]
During 1956, the ground had a tiered stand erected between it and Queens Road. This incorporated shop fronts facing Queens Road, which became Queens Parade and stood until the eventual closure of the ground.