The Priory Stream has two main sources; one being the Old Roar Ghyll waterfalls, the other originating in Ore and snaking its way down the valley towards Beaconsfield Road and merging in Alexandra Park.
Use of Stream
At one time, the stream powered a Watermill roughly located at the Queens Road and Waterworks Road junction. Ross reported finding traces of an ironworking site in the valley near Christ Church Blacklands and the name of 'Ponbay Bridge' may be the corruption of the term 'Pond Bay' - this being a typical feature of iron-workings.
The lower portion of the stream was culverted for the rest of its route roughly following the route of Queens Road, appearing again at a pipe on the beach nearly opposite Harold Place in 1834/5, with the remainder up towards Alexandra Park being culverted once the Railway Embankment was constructed around 1846
- Hastings Survey of Times Past and Present (Anthony Belt F.L.S.) 1937 pg.31 ESCC Library
- The Antiquities of Hastings and the Battlefield (Thomas Cole 1864) Pg. 23 Google Books - 1864 ESCC Library. A later edition is also available: ESCC Library - 1884
- Hastings of Bygone Days and the Present (Henry Cousins - 1911) pg.304 ISBN: 9789332862449 ESCC Library Google Books " Amazon
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 2 Chap. 19
- Queens Road