|Former name(s)||Wellington Place|
Castle Hill Road
|Places of Worship||Wellington Square Baptist Church|
Wellington Square was formerly known as Wellington Place and Waterloo Square and the lower end of the square (Nos. 1 to 3) was the site of Lime Kilns operated by the , with the Priory Field was approximately in the current location of the central green.
At the start of the 19th century, the area (including the Castle Gun Garden, Queens Road, Stonefield Road etc) was in the hands of Sir Godfrey Webster, who sold the land to the Milward family around the early 1800s.
The land was subsequently purchased from Edward Milward by the banking firm Breeds, Farncomb, Breeds and Wenham about 1815. Finding there was good 'brick earth' there, they commenced building operations in around 1820.
Starting at some point in the 1930s, Wellington Square served as the bus terminus for the town. In order the buses would not roll down the hill should the brakes fail, there was a stock of wooden blocks stacked behind the telephone box on the south-east corner of the square to place in front of the rear wheels.
|Mary Wray Secretarial College||43|
|Wellington Square Baptist Church||1838|
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol III
- Hastings of Bygone Days and the Present (Henry Cousins - 1911) pg.119 ISBN: 9789332862449 ESCC Library Google Books " Amazon
- Hastings of Bygone Days and the Present (Henry Cousins - 1911) pg.20 ISBN: 9789332862449 ESCC Library Google Books " Amazon
- Historic Hastings J.M. Baines
- a guide by 1066online.com: History of Hastings in East Sussex, UK - a guide by 1066online.com, accessdate: 4 November 2019