This page is a stub
Feaist's Bakery was a large local bakery chain with as many as thirteen outlets along the south coast by 1895. The company started out at number 6 Castle Hill Road from 1863 until around the 1950s. These premises were rebuilt in 1912 and again in 1935. These buildings were demolished in the 1960s to widen Castle Hill Road.
During the late 19th Century, they produced a number of 're-stamped' Napoleonic 10 centime coins bearing the name of the bakery as advertising tokens.
In addition to a steam-powered flour mill at Waterworks Road, with an adjoining corn, hay and straw stores, the business had a cafe, The Mikado at 21 Robertson Street (and 'The Scotch Cafe' at 39 Robertson Street) and 1 Wellington Square, with retail branches at Hughenden Road, Mount Road, Queens Road, Bohemia Road, Bexhill Road and Old London Road in Ore.. The chain were placed into liquidation in 1916, being run in administration for a number of years, and eventually brought out by the founder of the Hastings & St Leonards Observer, Frederick Parsons (1844-1900) eventually becoming Henry King & Feaist's Bakery.
:6;Castle Hill Road;1863,1960 :;Hughenden Road :;Mount Road :;Queens Road :;Bohemia Road :;Waterworks Road.