George Street

From Historical Hastings
George Street
Other Names
Former name(s)Suburb Street,
The Suburb[1]
Named AfterKing George III
Construction startpre 1780

This road was renumbered . Originally known as 'The Suburb'; being outside of the Town Wall. By the 1780s Hastings had become a popular seaside resort, and the streets and pavements of the town were urgently in need of some control and maintenance. So in 1789 the Hastings Improvement Act was given assent by King George III, and the Suburb was named after him as George Street. George Street was pedestrianised in 1987, the ​road​ being re-opened by Bernard Bresslaw on the 25th of April 1987.



Features in George Street

Name Street No From To

References & Notes