Butlers Emporium had shops at 70 George Street & 101 Bohemia Road. The proprietor was John James Butler (1853-1916), who ran the shops in their early days with his wife Mary Ann Butler (1853-1913) (nee Larkin) and their children Jessie & Percy and grandchildren Percy & Stanley.
During 1911, a plane travelling from Dover to Shoreham had to land at Bexhill for some emergency repairs. Butler's were quick off the mark in seeing a marketing opportunity and arranged some signage for the shop advertising airplane repair services.
In 1976, a devastating fire resulted in the demolition of one of the buildings housing the emporium, the space becoming Butlers Gap