From Historical Hastings
|Named After||Denmark House (Denmark Place)|
Most likely named after Denmark House, the parade in this area of the seafront certainly existed around 1838.
Roughly where Homedene House now stands in Pelham Street, were a terrace of three cottages (Prior's Cottages), which were named after a smuggler - 'Old Joe Prior' who had reportedly been taken prisoner by France twice during an un-named war between England and France. These cottages had large gardens facing the sea, and number two became occupied by the husband (Frederick Waters) of Joseph Prior's daughter Eliza following their wedding. Waters later also acquired number three and utilised the gardens of both properties to construct Denmark House between 1871 and 1881 which then became his and Eliza's residence.
Features in Denmark Place
References & Notes
- ↑ Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 2 Chap. 20 Pg. 208
- ↑ British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 27 December 1913 Pg. 0006
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ UK Census Return 1881 Sussex; Hastings; St. Mary in the Castle; District 1; Pg. 58