Talk:Main Page

From Historical Hastings Wiki

Completed are: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,Gasometer Construction,18,19,20,Woods,21,22, 24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,Storm Drain,33,34,in the war (partial) ,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42

Images not added[edit | edit source]

Images from Hastings in the Front Line. Some near dupes from storm drain left out. Gasometer Construction

How to get all text example[edit | edit source]

http://wiki.historymap.info/api.php?action=parse&page=Judges&disableeditsection=1&prop=text&format=json

Images[edit | edit source]

http://wiki.historymap.info/api.php?action=parse&page=Judges&disableeditsection=1&prop=images&format=json

Semantic properties[edit | edit source]

See Rosslyn for semantic property use within template.

Array Handling[edit | edit source]

MediaWiki Arrays manual


  • length of Red: 3
  • length of Blue: 4
  • length of Yellow: 6

Genealogy templates are from https://familypedia.wikia.org/wiki/

Fairlight Background notes[edit | edit source]

The village is mentioned in record of 1220 as FARLEGH, since then, many changes have occurred in the spelling, e.g., in 1291 it was FARLEIGH; 1535, FARLEY; 1701, FAYRLIGHT; 1738, again FARLEY and in 1823 the spelling is recorded as FAIRLIGHT. There was a manor here before 1066, given by William the Conqueror to the Countess of EU (or OW), near Caen, France, her husband was the first Constable of Hastings Castle. In the 12th century the manor belonged to the Allard (or Alard) family; Stephen and Gervase Allard went to the Crusades, and effigies may be seen in Winchelsea Church; Gervase was Admiral of the Cinque ports, and was the first English man to be called ‘Admiral’.

The manor house formed the foundation of the present farmhouse – Stonelynk Farm. The residence known today as ‘Stonelynk Hall’ was originally the barn, built probably in the 14th century. About 1540 a Judge and Clerk attended the local assizes, held in the manor. A well provides the farmhouse with its own water supply. In the days of smuggling, contraband goods were landed at Fairlight, probably brought inland by an underground tunnel!

Marsham farm dates from 1290, built by Giles Fiennes. Waites Old Farm House (corner of Waites Lane & Meadow Way) is 16th century. Waites wood existed where Fairlight Village Hall and adjacent residences now stand.

Battery Hill: at the turn of the 20th century, a local gun battery is reputed to have practiced firing regularly from ‘The Mountain’. Fire was directed out to sea, this probably gives to the origin of the names: ‘Firehills’ and ‘Battery Hill’. Fairlight Place: built around 1550 at the head of Fairlight Glen, was visited by King Louis Phillipe and his Queen in 1849 after his escape from Paris.


Fairlight Hall, Martineau Lane, is imitation Tudor, built at the turn of the century, it is a private residence.

The present Parish Church of St Andrews was built in 1845 on the site of the former Church dating back to (approx) 1180. It is 535 feet above sea level. Built from locally quarried stone, the tower elevates to 82 feet from ground level. This is open to all during the summer months. The Silver Communion Cup and Paten cover date from 1697. A friend of Mendelssohn, Thomas Walmsley, a master of music and renowned organist, is buried in the Churchyard, also Richard D’Oyly Carte, producer of the Gilbert & Sullivan Operettas. It is a well know fact that the Church of St Andrews and the immediate area was purposely not bombed by the Germans during the last war, as this was a very distinctive Land Mark that guided their planes towards London and back home. It was mentioned on plans drawn up by the High Command in Germany as never to be touched, which have just been released!

Search by coordinates[edit | edit source]

 Visible areCoordinates
East-Cliff.-1840..jpgNet Huts
Rock-a-Nore
East Hill
50° 51' 23.30" N, 0° 35' 54.53" E

{{#ask: [[Coordinates::+]] [[Date::< 1850]] |?Visible are |?Coordinates |format=broadtable |limit=50 |offset=0 |link=all |sort= |order=asc |headers=show |searchlabel=... further results |class=sortable wikitable smwtable }}