Patrick Robertson (1807-1885)
The son of Revd Daniel Robertson (Professor of Oriental Languages at St Marys College, St Andrew's University, 1809-1817), Patrick was born at Meigle, Perthshire. His mother died when he was four; as a result he and his two younger siblings were primarily raised by a maternal aunt. He never married. Mr. Robertson lived at Halton House, off Old London Road, roughly where Hardwicke Road is today. He was the property developer who leased and set out the .. Having plans beyond the immediate area of Robertson Street, Robertson also sought out a partnership with the Burton family to complete the sea-front between Robertson Street and Warrior Square which did not come to fruition.
He first contested Hastings, as a Conservative in August, 1847,but was unsuccessful.
In July,1852, he was returned M. P. for Hastings at the top of the poll, with Mr. Musgrave Brisco.
In March, 1857, with Mr. Frederick North,he was returned without a contest.
Again defeated in April, 1859.
Again returned in 1864, and 1865.
In 1874, the first election under the ballot, he was again defeated, when the late first Earl Brassey (then Mr. Thomas Brassey), and Sir U. J. K. Shuttleworth (now Lord Shuttleworth) were returned, and Mr. Robertson retired from his political career in Hastings. Robertson was also a Deputy-Lieutenant of Sussex and a Justice of the Peace for the borough of Hastings
A prominent property developer in the local area, Robertson leased the crown lands comprising the for 99 years at a rate of £500 per year, commencing construction in January of 1850. His name was later given to Robertson Street. Plans were drawn up by an architectural partnership, Reeks Humbert, who were also the Crown architects, around 1850/1851 and construction of Robertson Street, Carlisle Parade and Robertson Terrace followed rapidly, utilising bricks that had been produced locally near Alexandra Park, the first occupant, Henry Polhill, a butcher moving in on the 5th of October that year. Reeks Humbert opened an office at 15 Pelham Street, and their name was on all of the plans prior to December of 1846, when another architectural firm, H.Carpenter, of 36 Robertson Street appears for around 12 years before many other architects became involved in the development.
- Friends of Hastings Cemetery
- Hastings Chronicle
- Hastings of Bygone Days and the Present (Henry Cousins - 1911) pg.219 ISBN: 9789332862449 ESCC Library Google Books " Amazon
- Hastings (UK Parliament constituency) - Wikipedia, accessdate: 23 February 2020
- Hastings of Bygone Days and the Present (Henry Cousins - 1911) pg.220 ISBN: 9789332862449 ESCC Library Google Books " Amazon
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 4 Chap. 44
- Robertson, Patrick Francis, accessdate: 9 March 2020
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 6 Chap. 55