|Website||Hastings Borough Council - Cemetery|
|Find a Grave||Hastings|
In 1856, the Town Council, constituting itself a Burial Board for the Borough, purchased a large piece of ground (originally off what was the London Road, now The Ridge) in the parish of Ore, from W. D. Lucas Shadwell, Esq, for the purpose of constructing a cemetery. The Gothic chapels in it are to designs drawn by Mr. H. Carpenter. The cemetery was originally divided into two parts. One part was consecrated by the Bishop of Chichester, on the 28th day of November, 1856, and the other is unconsecrated.
The Gothic chapels were subsequently linked and converted into a crematorium.
- Osborne's Visitor's Guide to Hastings and St Leonards c1854 3rd ed. Pg. 76 Google Books