Oak Passage

From Historical Hastings
Oak Passage
Other Names
Former name(s)Broken Light[1]
Named AfterOak Hill
JunctionsHigh Street
Light Steps

Runs across the top of Butlers Gap from the High Street to Light Steps, named for the Royal Oak Inn which stood near its junction with the High Street. There were steps added, leading from the High Street up to the passage in 1889 when the road adjacent to the end of Oak Passage was re-graded to provide a lesser incline up to the Swan Hotel[2]. These have since been removed in favour of an entrance to the path further up the High Street from the location of the hotel.


Features in Oak Passage

Name Street No From To

References & Notes

  1. Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 4 Chap. 48
  2. British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 28 September 1889 Pg. 0007