Peter Jenkins (1840-1899)
Summary[edit | edit source]
Peter Jenkins was born in 1840 in Guestling, and moved to London before returning to Hastings and starting a business as a builder. During the course of his career, he built a vast number of properties including most of the Bulverhythe area leading to the area being known locally as 'Jenkins Town'. 
He had a number of premises in the Bulverhythe/West St Leonards area including the Grosvenor Works which suffered a devastating fire in 1883 and 20 Caves Road, employing up to 500 people and lived at nearby 58 West Hill Road.
Construction work[edit | edit source]
In addition to building much of Bulverhythe, including St Leonards Church, he built the Deluxe Cinema, reservoirs at Maze Hill, Shornden, the sea wall from St Leonards Church to Grosvenor Gardens and Halton, and was building a further reservoir at at the time of his death on the 27 June 1899. He rebuilt the East Sussex Club (on the corner of Warrior Square and Grand Parade), and erected the drill halls at Rock-a-Nore and Middle Street.
He made all his bricks in nine brickyards around Sidley & Guestling, and aimed to make between ten and eleven million bricks during one season at the peak in production. There would be three and a half million bricks required for the new Workhouse.
Wealth[edit | edit source]
- The Hastings Chronicle: 1850-1899 – The Hastings Chronicle, accessdate: 28 December 2019