Etymology[edit | edit source]
A record dating to 1220 gives a name of Farlegh associated with the village, with many subsequent changes to the spelling;
Manor of Fairlight[edit | edit source]
A manor existed here prior to 1066, this being given by William the Conqueror to the Countess of Eu (her husband being the first Constable of Hastings Castle. During the 12th century, the manor was in the ownership of the Allard family.
This manor house formed the foundation of the present farmhouse at Stonelynk Farm.
Cliff[edit | edit source]
The cliffs in the Fairlight area are subject to erosion from the sea, but since around 1986 the village has had a very actively supported group (now know as the ‘Fairlight Cove Preservation Trust), which takes action to prevent further land loss. In 2007 a multi million pound scheme was adopted to reshape the cliffs, laying land drains to remove the water before it eroded any more of the cliffs; 56 wells were drilled to seize the water before it reached the cliffs. 2 years later the scheme proved itself successful.
Land Ownership[edit | edit source]
National Trust Land; 215 acres of cliff land (including Stumbletts Wood, Pett Level Road) were given to the National Trust in 1945; Old Marsham farm (170 acres adjoining) in 1958.
In 1951, Hastings was presented with 211 acres of cliff and country, including Fairlight Place and Farm, the Firehills, Fairlight and Ecclesbourne Glens, the Lovers seat and the Dripping well.
The Country Park (mostly in the Hastings area) consists of some 500 acres of cliff walks and unspoilt wooded country from East Hill Hastings, to the Firehills at Fairlight, including the Ecclesbourne and Fairlight Glens. A car park and tourist information centre along with toilets are situated just off the Fairlight Road, the entrance being some 50 yards west of Coastguards Lane and the Parish Church of St Andrews.
- Hastings, past and present (Mary Matilda Howard) pg. 106 Google Books