Carlisle Parade Underground Car Park
Summary[edit | edit source]
Opened in 1931, the Carlisle Parade Underground Car Park was the first underground car-parking facility in the United Kingdom. The Borough Engineer, Sidney Little was keen to find a solution to providing provision for cars to be parked near Hastings seafront without them blocking the sea views and his preferred medium of concrete provided a solution.
Two ramps lead down to Carlisle Parade car park’s entrance (a third ramp from Harold Place is now used as pedestrian access to part of the car-park functioning as a subway under the coast road), and cars are prevented from accidentally driving down off Carlisle Parade and into the voids by a decorative parapet wall and balustrade, of fluted concrete panels. It’s a simple solution into which Little put the care and attention singularly lacking in many later underground car parks. Above ground, there is a sunken garden with vents for extraction of the exhaust fumes cunningly disguised as shelters.
WW2 Usage[edit | edit source]
Grade II Listed (Historic England listing 1400579)
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 20 September 1941 pg. 1