The name Warrior is most likely a corruption of 'Warehouse' - smugglers being known to secrete goods in the vicinity. A reference to the name of 'Warrior's Gate' being part of the sea/foreshore contiguous to the White Rock occurs in 1817
The Warrior's Gate Inn was constructed on what was known as the Warriors Gate lime kilns in 1833 to an original design by Walter Inskipp. The builder, George Hyland was the original manager with other managers listed by Brett as being; Messrs. Hyland, Knight, Pilcher, Fuggles, Noakes, Wellstead, Lamb, Cuthbert, Mrs. Lamb and the London Distillery Company.
References & Notes
- British Newspaper Archive Public Ledger and Daily Advertiser 26 June 1817 Pg. 0004 via Helena Wojtczack
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 1 Chapt. 9
- Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 7 Chap. 59