This square was previously known as Tripe Alley due to the butchers shop that stood at the corner. The naming dates back to at least 1773, but is possibly older. There is record of a Richard Sinnock (the Cordwainer) purchasing the site in 1766 for the sum of £130. He later paid £5 to not be the overseer of the poor at St Clements Church. A Thomas Sinnock later purchased 'The Shelves', owing a quitrent of 2s 9d to the manor of Ore at some point prior to 1824 and constructed the Fortune of War on the site.
Features in Sinnock Square
References & Notes
- Sinnock Square, Hastings (Sussex) - RootsChat.Com, accessdate: 13 February 2020