Earl Street

From Historical Hastings
Earl Street

The accompanying biography to a record held by East Sussex County Council Archives (The Keep) reads[1]:-

Earl Street and the neighbouring James Street to its north formed part of the Cornwallis Estate, which in 1874 and 1876 granted at least five 99-year leases to Walter Longhurst, a builder of Havelock Road, Hastings. Longhurst built warehouses along the West side of the ​road​, which backed onto the railway, and a row of ten houses and a large block of stables in James Street, an east-west continuation of Earl Street, which backed onto the gasworks. James Street was subsequently re-numbered as Earl Street

In 1876 Stricklands acquired the leasehold of one of the warehouses, and another two to the north in 1918. In 1928 the firm purchased the freehold of the factory, which had been built in 1900 on the site of the stables to the West of 9 and 10 Earl Street (formerly 9 and 10 James Street), from the Cornwallis Estate, which may have sold the freeholds of the warehouses at the same time. Part of the property, probably 9 Earl Street, was sold in 1957, and the whole disposed of seven years later



In June 1926, a landslip occurred at the rears of 17, 18 & 19 Earl Street resulting in the gardens collapsing into the gardens of numbers 6, 7 & 8 Mann Street[2]


Features in Earl Street

Name Street No From To

References & Notes

  1. East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep GB179_AMS6630_16
  2. Hastings & St Leonards Observer 12 June 1926 pg. 10