Bathing Machines

From Historical Hastings Wiki

Used to protect the modesty of Victorian bathers, these machines were wheeled down to the water's edge and permitted the bather, once changed, to descend some steps into the sea. By the 1920s, they were in decline and replaced by Bathing Huts. Out of season, they were removed from the beach to the Central Cricket Ground[1].

Known Locations and Operators[edit | edit source]

Cobby's bathing machines are at the Marine Parade, Caroline Place, Hastings ; Dunn's, at the comer of Carlisle Parade]] ; Robinson and Oliver's, Eversfield Place ; and French's, at Marina St. Leonards.[2]

Footnotes (including sources)[edit]

  1. Hastings & St Leonards Observer 07 June 1879 pg. 6
  2. Hastings, past and present (Mary Matilda Howard) pg. 317-318 Google Books