The Grove (School)
|The Grove (School)|
|Postal Code||TN38 9JP|
In 1952, The Grove was placed under a Compulsory Purchase Order by Hastings Borough Council in the sum of £6280. The house was subsequently demolished to make room for the first stage of The Grove School for boys. The site was known as 'Woodlands' for some time, eventually giving its name to the buildings in Tower Road when they became part of the same institution. A new building was constructed next to the pre-existing buildings in 1967
The school was officially opened by the Duchess of Norfolk in 1956, becoming a County Mixed Comprehensive School in 1978. Upon the formal closure of The Grove and ultimate replacement by the St. Leonards Academy, the buildings were utilised for the first three years (years 7-10) of the academy's pupils. The original stable block was a listed building but was demolished following the final closure of the school in 2017 so the 23 acre site could be cleared for the construction of 210 homes by the developer Belway.
References & Notes
- Hastings Borough Council Planning application ref HS/67/00924