Royal Oak Hotel

From Historical Hastings


The Royal Oak public house,described as 'convenient and spacious' by Ross[1], opened in 1825 at double-fronted premises on Castle Street and Pelham Street , becoming the Royal Oak Hotel in 1831. A feature of the hotel was the incorporation of a boat-building loft which became known as 'The Long Room' and was utilised for large gatherings. This loft was demolished circa 1858 in order housing could be built on the site[2].

A further part of the hotel was destroyed by bombing in WW2 and the hotel never reopened, being demolished in 1957. The licence was transferred to the Hollington Oak public house in Wishing Tree Road. The buildings were completely cleared and the area redeveloped in 1959 as part of the Castle Street Redevelopment


References & Notes

  1. A Guide to Hastings & St Leonards (Thomas Ross 1835) pg.25 Google Books
  2. Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 7 Chap. 60 Pg. 73