From Historical Hastings
The Pelican was a collier that regularly used to deliver coal to Hastings Beach. The vessel was driven up onto the shingle in a similar fashion to the fishing fleet to unload.
She was constructed in 1838 at Thwaites and Winter's shipyard opposite Pelham Crescent for four times mayor of Hastings, William Ginner.
Unfortunately, she was driven ashore during a storm on the 11th of November 1879 and wrecked, although there was also speculation about foul play; a hawser appearing to have been cut by a knife. Her name is borne by the Pelican public house near to where she was wrecked. The figurehead, a pelican is believed to still be in the Hastings Museum collection.
References & Notes
- ↑ Hastings & St Leonards Observer 15 November 1879 pg. 6
- ↑ Hastings & St Leonards Observer 12 February 1938 pg. 5