John Beeston Lockey (1858-1941)
A Batchelor, John Lockey was the second son of famed tenor singer Charles Lockey. He lived at Lyndhurst, 1 Elphinstone Road in 1901, remaining there until his death in 1941. A musician in his own right; playing the organ professionally both in the USA, becoming a Freemason whilst there, and UK, John was secretary to the Hastings Musical Festival for over 30 years, founding the Festival in alliance with Dr. Herman Brearly, and following his demise - the result of being run over by a van that he had not heard, having suffered from a loss of hearing and failing eyesight in his later years, a memorial trophy is awarded during the Festival which occurs annually at the White Rock Theatre.
In addition to his musical interests, John was a director of the Pier company, overseeing the complete re-furbishment of the pier and buildings in the 1930s. He had a hand in the running of the Queens Hotel and the Hastings & St. Leonards Gas Company. John was also known to be a member of the Rotary Club.
References & Notes
- "UK Census", , 1901; St Mary in the Castle; , enumeration district 22 page 9, line 1.
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 22 March 1941 Pg. 0002
- British Newspaper Archive Hastings & St. Leonards Observer 22 March 1941 Pg. 0004