Glen Road

From Historical Hastings

Glen Road

Originally part of the Ashbrooke Estate, much of this ​road​ would appear to have been developed from 1863, when a series of conveyances for the land are recorded. The site of numbers 75-91 was certainly purchased in that year with Gerard John Oldrini being the purchaser and James Rock the younger (Coachbuilder) having an interest in the majority of ​building​s constructed on the plots[1].

A Roman bronze ewer dating to around 4AD was dug up in the garden of number 3 and passed to the British Museum for dating by Mr. S. Bertram Dyer. The ewer is described as follows[2]:

Although corroded to some extent it is fairly well preserved. It has a height of 9 1/4 inches and has a hollow pedestal base. The neck and body are decorated by seven incised horizontal lines. The handle, which has spur-like projection at the top, bifurcates to form two flat arms attached to the rim of the neck. These arms, at their extremities, are decorated with stylised fawns heads, drawn with short incised lines. The pedestal base of the ewer is filled with plaster of paris - apparently to strengthen the base which is heavily corroded. Mr Dyer says that this was the condition in which it was found and therefore, it seems most probable that this exotic bronze ewer has been imported as a curio within the last 200 years or so and subsequently lost or thrown away. Mr Dyer had the vessel from a Mr Wilson who dug it up in the garden at the back of his house, at No 3 Glen Road, about 30 years ago.


Features in Glen Road

Name Street No From To

References & Notes

  1. East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep GB179_YCL_ACC9658_19_24_2
  2. East Sussex County Council Archive The Keep ESHER_MES890