From Historical Hastings
Hastings & St. Leonards had a number of floral clocks within the borough, starting 1936 with a clock in White Rock Gardens to commemorate the crowning of George VI. One was known to be at the Queen's Road entrance to Alexandra Park (although not strictly speaking a clock) with another at White Rock Gardens, featuring a 'cuckoo' that appeared from the hedging at the back. They consisted of approximately 12,000 low-lying bedding/floral plants and often were commemorative of events and organisations within the town. The clock in White Rock Gardens was dismantled during WW2, Haricot beans being planted instead for the duration, finally returning in 1952. The clock survived until the early 1970s.
References & Notes
- ↑ Hastings & St Leonards Observer 8 June 1940 pg. 8