Fernbank Maternity Home
No values specified.
|Fernbank Maternity Home|
Prior to becoming a Maternity Home, Fernbank was occupied by the Rev. William Batley, appearing to have been constructed circa 1870 by his father, George Batley.
Fernbank was a Maternity Home situated at 88-90 Old London Road, being opened by the Lady Eustace Percy in 1923. In 1957, there was a re-organisation of health services within the town and the Buchanan Hospital became the major maternity hospital, although Fernbank was to continue for another two decades. Post closure circa 1977 there was a proposal to make it a student hostel prior to demolition. The name lives on in the allotments off Rotherfield Avenue and a modern house on the site.