Harold Place Underground Toilets
A Public Convenience in Harold Place. The original toilets were created circa 1879 when a small terrace called Kentish Buildings was purchased by the Urban Sanitary Authority and demolished. The planned toilets drew letters of complaint from among others, the Directors of the Queens Hotel. The underground toilets featured brass fittings and solid marble splashbacks etcetera. When closed circa 1990, the marble was reclaimed and allegedly re-used as paneling in a sauna which could not be used due to the overpowering smell of ammonia from the panels. The replacement toilets were in the form of a mock Roman building.