Summary[edit | edit source]
The Buchanan Homeopathic Ophthalmic and Cottage Hospital, founded in 1881, is named after Mrs Buchanan, who suggested an institution for the treatment of ophthalmic cases. did not live to see her legacy fulfilled, but her niece, Miss Elizabeth Mirrlees. generously determined to carry the plans out and offered a sum of money towards that object.
With this nucleus the proposal met with such hearty support that, was decided to enlarge the scope of the proposed building to admit general medical and surgical cases, and in 1881 Miss Mirrlees together with Mrs. Shaw, Miss Kingsbury, Mrs. Vores, Mr. Thomas Mason, and others, opened a hospital with six beds in Southwater Road.
The hospital soon outgrew its available space and with land leased by Mr Eversfield at a nominal rent, the hospital built to a design by the architect Henry Ward containing three private wards was erected on the site in Springfield Road in 1884.
Outpatient Department[edit | edit source]
An important addition was made by the erection of the out-patients' building an adjoining piece of land, the freehold which, purchased by the Committee. added most considerably to the size and beauty of the garden. A new and thoroughly up-to-date operating room was put up, the old one being turned into the casualty room. The final, and largest addition, was the "Elizabeth Mason" Wing.
Nurse Training Centre[edit | edit source]
In 1926, the hospital was approved by the Nursing Council to become a training centre for nurses.
Current Day[edit | edit source]
Many of the modern (1960s onwards) buildings forming the links between the main buildings were demolished and the site is now occupied by housing, with the original cottage as built in 1884 retained as the centre-piece.