|Former name(s)||Banebury Road|
Southwater Road is a wide avenue that originally housed wealthy residents of St Leonards. It was laid out between 1873 and 1897 partly on land that formed part of the Eversfield Estate.
The portion of Southwater Road from the junction with Hatherley Road to Ellenslea Road was originally named Banebury Road, although no buildings yet appear on 1873 mapping. The remainder of the road was not laid out until between this date and 1897, although the cottages opposite Hatherley Road pre-date the 1873 survey.
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 12 July 1873 pg. 8