West Hill

From Historical Hastings

During the 19th Century, much of the West Hill was owned by the Milward Estate and sub-divided into a number of named fields.

John Shorter Map of Milward Estate 1769, showing West Hill Fields

Field Names[edit]

  • Castle Hill Field
  • Priory Field
  • Stone Field

Some earlier field names are listed by Baines from town records during 1612 as being Wellfield and Cognore[1]


The West Hill was the location of a number of windmills over the years, and the exact locations of these is still a matter of some contention to this day.Baines suggests the following numbers of mills as being extant on the hill as an aide to date images[2]:-

  • 1724 - 1760 : One
  • 1769 - 1819 : Two
  • 1823 - 1829 : Four
  • 1833 - 1854 : Three
  • 1861 - 1873 : Two

He further notes that this does not take into account French's Mill which was further inland. Known mills are Barnfield Post Mill and English's Mill



  1. Histories of Hastings' Houses and Properties in three volumes: J. Manwaring Baines - Hastings Museum and Art Gallery
  2. Historic Hastings, J. Manwaring Baines ISBN: 0948869003 ISBN: 9780948869006 Amazon