From Historical Hastings
On part of what was originally Bohemia Farm, the Oval was originally known as Hickman's Field, and was first used as a rugby pitch in 1915. Post World War One it became a football pitch used by various local teams. After the Borough Improvement Scheme between 1914 and 1919, it became known as 'The Oval', being opened by the Prince of Wales (later Edward the Eighth) and the present-day White Rock Gardens occupied the site to the south east.
It first appears as an oval feature on Ordnance maps in 1929
References & Notes
- ↑ a b Ian Shiner - Historical Hastings
- ↑ Hastings Football History