St. Luke's United Reformed Church
From Historical Hastings
|St. Luke's United Reformed Church|
This church on Sedlescombe Road North was constructed with funds from Mr. Clement, of Hastings and Mr. Harris of Leicester. The need for such a chapel arose following the preaching of Mr. (later Dr.) Boyd in a room near to the Tivoli Hotel and, following the raising of £300, the architect Mr. Carpenter produced the initial plans for a Gothic style of chapel. The church was opened for worship at a Sunday afternoon meeting on the 12th of July 1857.
The church was extended and improved twice; once around 1862 and again in 1865, when the tower and a spire were added.
The church suffered the loss of its spire following the Great Storm of 1987; the masonry largely falling into the gardens at the front of the church.
References & Notes
- ↑ Brett Manuscript Histories Vol. 6 Chap. 57
- ↑ Buckle, Alan G. (2003). An Independent Chapel: The Story of St Luke's in Silverhill 1853–2003. Hastings: Hastings Local History Group,
- ↑ Elleray, D. Robert (1979). Hastings: a Pictorial History. Chichester: Phillimore & Co. ISBN: 0-85033-324-5