In January 1876 the Silverhill Board School for Girls and Infants opened in temporary premises at Silverhill Lecture Hall and in January 1879 they moved to the new purpose-built premises on the corner of Sedlescombe Road North and Paynton Road. A separate Infants' School was opened in January 1882. In April 1903, following the 1902 Education Act, the school was taken over by the Education Committee of the Borough of Hastings and was re-named Silverhill Girls' Council School and a separate Silverhill Boy's Council School. In July 1921 the Infants' and Girls' Schools were merged again. After January 1924 it became Silverhill Junior Mixed School and from September 1927 the boys and girls were again separated and the school became Silverhill Senior Girls' School & Silverhill Senior Boy's School. In April 1933 it was merged with Silverhill Senior Boys' School to form Silverhill Senior Mixed School.
The school was evacuated to the St Albans area in July 1940. Between July 1941 and December 1944 the Silverhill premises were used as an emergency junior and infants' school.
From 1945 it was known as Silverhill County Primary School. On 24 March 1954 the new purpose-built premises in Perth Road were officially opened by the Mayor of Hastings and the school was re-named Silverdale County Primary School The last group of pupils moved to the new site in 1970 and the original building was then demolished. The site is now occupied by a block of flats which was built in 1975
References & Notes
- ↑ a b c National Archives