Young Mens Christian Association
Formed in 1844 by George Williams, the Young Mens Christian Association, or YMCA as it is more commonly called, was originally a prayer and bible study group made up of male shop workers living in the London area. It quickly expanded to have forty groups outside of London by 1855. The main purpose of the group was to improve the 'spiritual and mental condition' of young men, who otherwise may have sought company in the various pubs and beer-houses of the time. The various local associations founded libraries and gave evening classes, then expanded into providing accommodation.
Local Association[edit | edit source]
An exact start date for the Association in Hastings has not yet been determined, but from various sources, it is apparent that there was a branch existing around 1871 in the town. Reported as moving from the Memorial Buildings to 'Shaftsbury Rooms' at 12, Claremont on the 18th of September of 1885[notes 1]. The premises at number 12, Claremont appear to have been shared with other enterprises, these being the South of England Telephone Company Ltd and J. and A. Bray's auction rooms between 1886 and 1896. By 1899, the YMCA in Hastings were reportedly in some financial difficulty and finally closed in 1903.
Reformation[edit | edit source]
On the 11th of November 1907, a meeting was held to form a new local branch and by 1908, they occupied new premises at 41 Havelock Road Between 1907 and 1936, the YMCA had property on Breeds Place in a building next to Mastins department store from where they ran a 'shadow' town council called the Y. M. C. A. Town Council and debated items of political interest.
Notable Members[edit | edit source]
The museum curator, J. Manwaring Baines was known to have been an active member during the 1930s.
Current Location[edit | edit source]
The association has been at its current location in St Pauls Road since 1970.