Sewer Vent Shaft
Many of the towns underground sewers can accumulate inflammable gases, together with air-locks preventing correct operation and dead-ends preventing proper drainage.
To alleviate this, there area number of vent shafts (colloquially known as 'stink pipes') to release any trapped gases safely into the atmosphere. Many of these were installed during the rule of Queen Victoria, a time when any mechanism, no matter how mundane was ornamented.
There are main-sewer vent shafts known to have been installed during the Victorian period at the following locations;
- Frederick Road at valley floor.
- Percy Road & Clifton Road junction
- Winchelsea Road & Old London Road junction
- Middle Road at northern end
- 1 Stanhope Place
- Whitefriars Road at the junction with Priory Road (affixed to the Whitefriars Hotel)
- Mount Pleasant Road (to rear of an un-numbered property)
A further one was concealed in the Albert Memorial
In the early 20th Century, additional ventilation shafts were installed in the following locations;
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 8 Jun 1901 pg. 6
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 07 April 1894 pg. 3
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 02 January 1892 pg. 6
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 03 February 1894 pg. 3
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 21 January 1905 pg. 6
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 22 December 1906 pg. 8
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 22 May 1948 pg. 7