There is a reference to the mill in auction particulars published in the Sussex Advertiser; "ALL that good-accuftomed Corn Wind Mill, called the PRIORY MILL, near Hasting aforefaid, (being in perfect Repair) with the Tackle and Furniture thereof; and likewise the Remainder of a Leafe of the Plot or Field on which the fame ftands, containing about an Acre and a Half, held at the annual Rent of 40s. late in the Occupation of Thomas Foster and may entered upon immediately.", the auction being held at the George Hotel
Whilst under the ownership of Joseph Carswell, it blew down in February 1808. H.E.S. Simmons noted: “Some years after the destruction of Priory Mill, which was never rebuilt, its site was occupied by Preventive Officers as a Customs House, and was then covered by the Beau Site Convalescent Home".
- British Newspaper Archive Sussex Advertiser 30 May 1785 Pg. 0001