Tunnelling for the sewer connecting to the holding tanks at commenced in 1938. There was a light railway constructed to assist transporting materials and spoil to and from the sites. When WW2 commmenced, the work was paused and the railway tracks buried at the bottom of Gillsmans Hill to prevent theft/commandeering during the war.
- Hastings & St Leonards Observer 21 May 1938 pg. 18