R. G. Roberts suggests that the Ton (Tūn in Old English) portion of the name implies an enclosed piece of land, manor or hamlet. There is reference to Holyngton as being a fore-runner to the current naming. An alternative meaning is proposed by 1066 Online that it translates to 'Dwelling in a Hollow'
Early History[edit | edit source]
The area is known to have had settlements dating back to Roman times, who in the 2nd century excavated the clay from the ground to produce tiles and bricks, together with possibly an earlier settlement of which no traces remain. Prior to the modern day, the area was mainly fields, farms and woodland.
Development[edit | edit source]
The large spaces in the area were ideal for conversion into large factories on the outskirts of town and as a result, several farms and large estates were cleared to make way for Ponswood Industrial Estate, Castleham Industrial Estate and slightly later Churchfields Industrial Estate. Much of the housing dates to the 1930s when a large scale program of constructing affordable housing commenced; Castleham House, Mayfield Farm and Tile Kiln Farm were cleared and developed into the Tilekiln and Robsack Housing Estates.'
Schools[edit | edit source]
The first purpose built school in Hollington was the church run National School that was located in Old Church Road, adjacent to what is now Swynford Drive. The school opened on January the 18th 1857. Prior to this, a school was started by the Rev. H. J. Rush circa 1821 above what was a cow shed off Hollington Old Lane in the vicinity of the Arthur Blackman Clinic. St Johns School was in Battle Road just below Old Church Road opened circa 1872 and a boys school followed in 1880 on the junction of Wishing Tree Road and Old Church Road. The Grove (School) opened in 1950 on the site of a house bearing the same name.
Current Day[edit | edit source]
Today's Greater Hollington area consists of both the Hollington and Wishing Tree electoral wards. The area is made up from five distinct neighbourhoods which are Hollington, Tilekiln, Robsack, Four Courts and Wishing Tree'.
References[edit | edit source]
- Place Names of Sussex (R. G. Roberts M.A.) 1914 ISBN: 9781107607743
- Swan Hotel#Early Days
- History of Hollington in Hastings, East Sussex, UK: History of Hollington in Hastings, East Sussex, UK, accessdate: 9 January 2020
- The Hastings Chronicle: 1850-1899 – The Hastings Chronicle, accessdate: 9 January 2020
Notes[edit | edit source]
'Tales from Around the Wishing Tree' edited by Eileen Parish 1995 ESCC Library
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Four Courts (4 P)
Pages in category ‘Hollington’
The following 21 pages are in this category, out of 21 total.