Hastings Old Bank
Founded in 1791 at 90 High Street by a number of partners; Messrs Tilden, Shadwell, Hilder, Harvey and Gill. William Gill (1749-) was originally a clocksmith and married to Ann Carswell. William Gill had two children, James, and Ann who married William Scrivens senior, bringing him into the partnership.
The bank rapidly became the main financial institution in the town. During 1842 the bank moved to 9 Pelham Place. Without notice, the bank closed on the 26th of June 1857, leaving many individuals owed large sums of money. The bank had loaned over £150,000 to a farmer from Salehurst, Richard Smith, who was related to two of the, then partners. It is believed that all of the money was eventually recovered
:90;High Street;1791;1842 :9;Pelham Place;1842;1857 : 50.858338 :50.855254