George Archibald Thorpe (1825-1896)
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Mr Thorpe, the son of a shoemaker came to Hastings around 1844 and set up a similar business to that of his father at numbers 21 & 22 George Street, later expanding to further branches at 28 & 29 Robertson Street, and 17 Grand Parade. The Robertson Street premises later became Thorpe and Hall in 1890, later becoming just 'Halls'.
Living at 4 The Croft [now no.17] originally, then moving to Highcroft where he lived for the remainder of his life, he became a Conservative Councillor in 1868, then Magistrate, Mayor and finally Alderman. He was a director of the Gas Company (and chairman), Queens Hotel, White Rock Baths, Hastings Pier and East Sussex Building Society. His eldest son F H Thorpe was the Borough Accountant and his third son A D Thorpe was Deputy Town Clerk and an active solicitor. His son, Arthur Davis Thorpe, was also Mayor of Hastings. 
Mayor of Hastings in 1874-1875, 1883 & 1886