First registered as a company in 1919, Coombs were at 19 Norman Road dealing Chevrolet cars in 1922 by 1924, Buicks were added to their line-up. Riley cars were featured in their showroom by 1933 with Vauxhall and Bedford vehicles appearing in 1934. Vauxhall/Bedford vehicles were to remain their main marque until their closure.
On the 15th of June 1953 Coombs moved into a new, purpose built showroom occupying the block between Warrior Gardens and Terrace Road on Western Road, on the corner site previously occupied by Chas F. Froud's dairy and adjoining properties. The showroom accommodated both their car-sales, rental and petrol pumps together with workshops in an undercroft. The building work was carried out by R. Corben & Son.
The site is now a pumping station run by Southern Water as part of the Southern Water Storm Drain project to prevent flooding in the town.