Sayer-Milward Estate

From Historical Hastings Wiki

The Sayer-Milward estate owned a large amount of land around Hastings, covering both the East and West Hills and approximately 40 farms within a seven mile radius of Hastings. Their ownership of these lands fairly regularly caused disputes to be raised when either the trustees or members of the family blocked various thoroughfares, particularly across the West Hill. One of these instances is referred to by T. B. Brett in verse during his review of the year 1837, there are others reported in the Observer of 1883, when a path was similarly blocked that led across Torfield[1]