From Historical Hastings Wiki

The caravan site known as Rocklands used to be a school and before that, a private house and smallholding. The land was part of the Countess Waldegrave's holdings[1]. A Superintendant of the Coast-Guard, Commander Peat is recorded as having been resident here for three years[2]

Promontory Fort[edit | edit source]

A promontory fort exists under part of the Rocklands site consisting of a rampart about 300 metres long across the East Hill at the highest point. Part of the rampart can still be seen on the site as a raised bank some 7 metres high.[3]

Footnotes (including sources)[edit]

  1. Hastings, past and present (Mary Matilda Howard) pg. 105 Google Books
  2. Reminiscences of Smugglers and Smuggling: John Banks (1873) Pg. 91 Google Books
  3. Hastings Survey of Times Past and Present (Anthony Belt F.L.S.) 1937 pg.37 ESCC Library