Railings on High Pavements

From Historical Hastings Wiki

Visitors to the and other isolated areas in the town will have observed the railings at the edges of the various raised pavements (particularly High Street and All Saints Street). These would appear to have largely been installed during early 1940 to improve public safety in these areas as a result of the blackouts imposed in WW2. The author has not come across any images prior to the war showing railings in place. It is assumed that Hastings Borough Council had gained some exemption from the metal collecting that was taking place to aid the war effort. .[1][2]

References[edit]

  1. Hastings & St Leonards Observer 20 January 1940 pg. 9
  2. Hastings & St Leonards Observer 24 February 1940 pg. 10