Pelham Fountain

From Historical Hastings Wiki

Summary[edit]

On 4th June, 1960 the Pelham Fountain was turned on by the then Mayor, Cecil Barfoot (1903-1965) ( he had only been elected a week earlier) in an official ceremony. The structure suffered many strikes from passing lorries and the fountain's workings became expensive to maintain and keep working. In 2013 a controversial plan was put forward to demolish the fountain and place a Helter Skelter sculpture in its place. The scheme proved unpopular and was vetoed by the council who instead repaired the roundabout and fountain to fairly close to its original condition.

Images[edit]


References[edit]